Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Keeping YOU informed


Dream away--above is the pool and swim up bar at the Melia Cabo Real in the Los Cabos area, a 4 star All-Inclusive resort. Good food, nice rooms, quality drinks. Yes, it is a fabulous idea to have a swim up bar. . .no getting out of the pool to refresh yourself!

My job is to travel and lend my experiences to my clients, but another crucial part is to keep my clients informed about travel news and how it impacts them. This involves not only the newest sales, but also changes in policy like the new Mexican law which took effect on September 14, 2010. The new law limits the amount of US Currency that will be accepted in Mexico on a daily basis as well as a monthly. Below is a link to check it out.

http://www.travelagentcafe.com/uploadeddata/nwc/wl/12841529399090.pdf



In the past, if traveling in a tourist area like Cancun, Riviera Maya, Los Cabos, Puerta Vallarta or even Ixtapa, I typically would not change my American dollars to pesos. Everyone would quickly accept dollars with no hesitation.

My attitude is that every time you change money, you lose purchasing power. This was brought home to me on a trip to England. I purchased American Express traveler's checks (for a fee) and then when I wanted to exchange them for British pounds, I was charged another fee (5%) to change them. Ouch!

Credit cards are pretty well accepted all over the world now, so it is easy to use them instead of cash. But before you travel, call your credit company and tell them you will be out of the country and what dates. You do not want to be standing in a line to purchase tickets to the Tower of London and have the purchase denied!

At the same time, also check with them about any extra fees they charge for changing the local currency to US dollars. Sometimes it is worth it to pay for purchases with the pesos or pounds or euros and NOT your credit card.

So call me today to book your trip to warmer climates! 512-805-9500 or 1-888-811-4497.

No comments: